1. West End In : Musical Theatre Workshops : (Various locations, London)
Summer courses : On each of the days apart from the last day your kids will work on one of the West Ends top shows: The Lion King, Matilda, Wicked, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (plus many more!) – learning songs, scenes and dances from the actual shows.We bring in the actual performers who have performed in these shows. West End stars who know the shows “inside out” and who will not only teach the shows, but share insights and stories about performing in the West End.
Prices : Cost £149 (Early Bird Ends 31st May) Normal Price: £199 for 5 days. Locations : Chelsea, Hampstead, Richmond. Performance on the final day.
2. Holiday Academy : (NW1, London) Ages 3+
Holiday Academy is a creative (and sporty) engaging children’s day-camp at Cavendish School, Camden, NW1. They run during every school holiday. Children are welcome from all schools 3-12 years. Music * Art * Drama * Sport. The kids can enrol on workshops for Drums, Ukelele, Street Dance, Gymnastics club, Language clubs, Football, Tennis, Forest School, Science experiments, Cold Cooking, Building dens. They will also arrange music or sport tuition for 1:1 or 1:2 sessions for singing, instruments, sport.
Prices : start from £25, call or check online for more details.
3. Pineapple Performing Arts School (Central London) Ages 8+
Musical Theatre & Street Dance (Ages 8+) : Two intensive courses each lasting 5 days, both courses include a certificate, a t-shirt and a performance at the end of the week for all students! Musical Theatre students take part in a demonstration held at Pineapple Dance Studios plus a visit to see a West End Show. Street Dance students get to perform all the routines they have been working on in a Street Dance Spectacular Showcase at the end of the week at The Shaw Theatre, in Central London.
Prices : Cost £235 per week for 5 full days : 10% Discount for more than one course : Age Groups
8 – 10 11-13 14-16
4. Guildhall School of Music & Drama : Summer School (Ages 12+)
One of the most respected music and drama schools in the UK, Guildhall run a wide range of courses for the older age children who are dedicated to their performance arts. Applications for the courses at Summer School open in Spring each year and continue to be taken until shortly before the Summer School commences.
The courses range from :
- Jazz Summer school (age 12+) and Advanced Jazz Summer school (Age 17+).
- Drama Summer School (Age 18+) this course provides intensive training, adult content and the participants need to have high levels of maturity and life-experience, and be fluent in spoken English.
- Essential Music Theory Summer School (Age 12+) with a working knowledge of reading treble and bass clefs (about ABRSM grade 1) with fluent spoken English.
- Music Theory: Beyond Grade 5 Summer School (Age 16+) students must have passed, or be working at a level equivalent to, ABRSM Grade 5 Theory.
- Creative Music Training Summer School (Age 18+)
- A Cappella Choral Summer School (Age 16+) Participants are expected to have basic sight reading skills and Choral singing experience
- Stage Lighting Skills Summer School (Age 17+)
- Scenic Art Skills Summer School (Age 17+) Some art experience would be an advantage but is not necessary.
- Prop Making Skills Summer School (Age 17+) Some art experience would be an advantage but is not necessary.
5. Sylvia Young Theatre School : (Central London)
Musical Theatre (Age 10+) : The musical theatre courses offer a truly hectic week of rehearsals where students will dance, act and sing in preparation for a studio style workshop performance on Saturday which parents are invited. The course is open to anyone aged 10-18 years. Students are grouped according to age and will present excerpts from musicals. Each group has a production team consisting of a Director, Musical Director and Choreographer.
Theatre Skills (Age 7+) : This fun filled busy five day course is open to anyone aged 7-18 years and offers a combined course of theatre skills covering: Drama/Audition Technique, Singing & Microphone Technique, Street Dance, Basic Circus Skills., On Monday students are introduced to the sessions listed above. From Tuesday students can choose to follow their groups set session or the additional optional classes in Singing/Drama & Jazz. These classes are included in the fee.
Prices : Weekly fees are £300 for 5 full days with a performance on the Saturday
Not to be missed…
Unicorn Theatre runs PLAY IN A WEEK : SUMMER WORKSHOP : 11 – 15 Aug, for ages 8 – 12
A fun yet intensive workshop week that’s perfect for young theatre lovers! Participants will work with a professional director to work on a new play while developing skills in voice, movement, character, improvisation, performing and script writing.
£300 per week (lunch included)
Share the love for music… if you know of any local or other courses running across the year, or holidays please leave me a comment, so we can let everyone know. xo