If you like music, dancing, and generally getting down… do me a favour, and watch this trailer. It is such a great track. It’s from the Tom Dale Company in partnership with MOKO Dance : Digitopia for the Family Weekend at Sadler’s Wells this March.
If you haven’t heard about it before, it’s their annual two-day festival of family friendly events (which happens on Friday 25 and Saturday 26 March 2016).
The weekend will be sure fun and all taking place in a relaxed environment. A date for any of us that like contemporary dance…or even better didn’t know they did! The dance companies are hosting workshops that will allow the kids to get a real insight into the choreographers and dancers worlds, and most importantly get to jump around on a real stage, rather than on the sofa at home. It’s got to be worth a go, when a workshop costs less than a cafe latte right ? See you there. x
Following the award winning and critically acclaimed Rapunzel, balletLORENT (below) brings its latest dance theatre fairytale production, Snow White to Sadler’s Wells theatre. This production takes inspiration from the original Brothers Grimm fairytale, where Snow White’s real mother, rather than her stepmother, becomes consumed by jealousy for her beautiful daughter.
Snow White on Friday at 3pm; Saturday at 11am & 3pm
Digitopia on Friday at 2pm; Saturday 10.30am & 2pm
Tickets: Snow White £12 – £18 | Digitopia £7 – £12 | Family Dance workshops £2
Age guidance: Snow White 7+; Digitopoa 5+
- Digitopia inspired Creative Dance Workshops: Fri 25 March, 12-1pm & 3.30-4.30pm
Sat 26 March, 12-1pm (£2 per person. Children must be accompanied. Maximum three children per adult. Tickets are available to Digitopia ticket holders only.)
- An hour-long Creative Dance Workshop brought to you by MOKO Dance, exploring themes from Digitopia and aimed at children aged 5-8 years and their grown-ups. The workshop will offer a fun environment with emphasis on musicality and creativity, and will also involve working in pairs or small groups. No previous dance experience necessary.
- Snow White inspired Family Dance Workshops: Friday 25 & Saturday 26 March, 1.30-2.30pm
- Dance workshops for parents and children of all abilities based around music and dance from Snow White (£2 per person. Children must be accompanied. Maximum three children per adult. Tickets are available to Snow White ticket holders only.)
- Stay and Play Workshop: Friday 25 March, 3.00-3.30pm, Saturday 26 March, 11.30-12.00pm & 3.00-3.30pm (£1 per child. Adults must be present but do not need a ticket. Tickets are available to Digitopia ticket holders only).
- A thirty minute session on stage with the performers exploring dance and technology, led by Tom Dale Company. Suitable for 5-10 year olds and limited to a capacity of up to 20 participants. Pre-booking essential.
The two-day festival adds to the wealth of other family dance shows on offer in Spring 2016 from Sadlers Wells.
I’ll check these out and write something up about them in a week or two.
English National Ballet and English National Ballet School: My First Ballet: Sleeping Beauty, 24 March – 2 April
London Children’s Ballet: Little Lord Fauntleroy, 21 – 24 April
Northern Ballet: Tortoise & the Hare, 27 May
Breakin’ Convention ’16 International Festival of Hip Hop Dance Theatre, 30 April & 1 May
ZooNation Dance Company: Into the Hoods: Remixed, 4 – 21 May