Unexpected Pleasures : The Art and Design of Contemporary Jewellry
05 December 2012 – 03 March
Bringing together almost 200 objects from around the world, Unexpected Pleasures celebrates the work of contemporary jewellers who have challenged the conventions of jewellery design.
Curated by jewellery designer and maker Dr. Susan Cohn, the exhibition offers a survey of contemporary jewellery presented through a number of themes: Worn Out – celebrating the experience of wearing jewellery, Linking Links – looking at the ways in which meaning and narratives are expressed in jewellery and A Fine Line – offering insights into the origins of contemporary jewellery today, highlighting key instigators of the contemporary jewellery movement.
The exhibition features prominent UK and international jewellers including Wendy Ramshaw, renowned for her complex geometric designs, Hans Stofer’s intricate wire form jewellery, Gijs Bakker’s conceptual adornments and delicate abstract pieces by Dorothea Pruhl.
Book exhibition tickets in advance via Ticketweb (booking fee applies)
FAMILY DRAWING TOUR
Wednesday 20 February, 2.30pm
Free with museum entry, booking essential
Grab a pencil and join an illustrator on a family friendly tour through Unexpected Pleasures. The 30-minute tour begins with an introduction to the museum and then invites you to portray the objects in the exhibition through a range of drawing exercises.
Recommended for ages 7+. Sketching paper and pencils provided.
Booking T 020 7940 8783
When booking please specify the time of the session you are booking for. Maximum of 10 children per session.
- All creativity workshops are suitable for children aged from 5 to 11
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Workshops are £5 per child and £10.75 for accompanying adults. Tickets include entry to all current exhibitions.
- Booking is essential on 020 7940 8783,firstname.lastname@example.org and Ticketweb.co.uk. Payment is made in advance and is non-refundable. Please note that our telephone and email booking lines are staffed during office hours seven days a week.
- Workshops start promptly. Please arrive 15 minutes early to avoid delays at the Admissions desk
- Please come to the Admissions desk and then make your way to the Design Museum Space
- Our workshops are popular so please book as early as you can to avoid disappointment